Saturday, July 17, 2004

What a wonderful day I had. Eight hours of playing with dye and fibers, and making friends who are just as much fiber geeks as I am. I left the shop today with bags full of roving and bits of silk fabric and yarn, most given to me, including some silk and merino roving that is so soft I want to keep it for a pet. I started noticing how afraid I was of doing things wrong in my creating. Not just dyeing, but knitting. I was so worried about "having enough" to make something that I was paralyzed, and so made nothing. Then I recalled a sort-of pattern I'd seen in the Holiday 2003 issue of Vogue Knitting. The person who made it had just taken leftover bits of yarn and made a gorgeous, multicolored wrap. Bits. Leftovers. And it was so beautiful. I've been wondering for so long if I had enough of any kind of roving to spin and knit anything, but now I know I can, and I can hardly wait to get started. I just need a good night's sleep, after 8 hours of what amounts to creative espresso.
 
Or better, yet, find a way to go without sleep, so that I can have more time to create all the things in my imagination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home